With the growing network of Facebook in this period has made it impossible to answer unequivocally, to which the development of Internet technologies (from the point of view of language development) has led to a greater degree. We have been able to gather some information about the direction the famous social platform like Facebook is leading us.
Positive aspects of Internet communication:
1) The ability to communicate with people from all over the world, without the restriction of space-time (in fact, it all comes down to the language barrier, and you can learn the language for free),
2) The availability of distance learning, the exchange of ideas and projects;
3) The way to find people with similar interests, expand the circle of communication.
The emergence of Facebook and other social networks, of course, a positive phenomenon, but … they can communicate with children, which should be taken into account by young parents. Of course, any web resource enriches a child’s life, but, according to a study by the American Academy of Pediatrics, it can be dangerous to mental and physical health.
At a time when the child is in touch, learns a lot of new and useful, spurs creativity of thinking and technical ability, he can quite fulfills the school homework. But the child can stay in front of the computer for a long time, not controlling his actions, which may not be good for his vision, physical activity (the child is in immovable state, instead of running, jumping, playing) and even the amount of daily sleep.
But most importantly, the use of social networks can lead to depression; it exposes the child to receiving information that is dangerous for his/her mental health. Therefore, the parents’ mission is to monitor the activities of children both on the Internet and in real life.
Here are the main problems highlighted by the Academy of Pediatrics:
– The phenomenon of “Facebook depression” – the child finds communication on the net when he has a lack of communication in real life or he is rejected by real friends;
– intimidation – hostile or embarrassing information, which can lead not only to loneliness, but also attempts at suicide;
– Information that affects self-esteem – about your appearance, etc .;
Negative Impact on Education
Although this pretty much goes without saying, being connected to technology on an ongoing basis can seriously impact a teen’s and young adult’s education. The negative educational impacts of regularly checking Facebook during Rosen’s 15-minute observation of kids during study time revealed the following:
• Middle and high school students, as well as college students, who checked their Facebook once during the 15-minute study time, had lower test grades. Perhaps this is similar to being a distracted driver.
• Those students who checked their Facebook most often also had the lowest rates of reading retention. This probably is not too surprising, but now it is a proven fact, in case you need to tell your kids.